On the top of Bad Ischl
Enjoy a charming 15-minute drive to more than 1, 400 m above sea-level with spectacular views. Starting point for the magic 7-Lakes-View Hike (1.5 to 2 hours) or the impressive 3-Summits-Tour across the mountains of Katrin, Elferkogel & Hainzen. The via ferrata is a good option for adrenaline junkies! Be spoilt in the mountain guesthouse or at the alpine hut or on their sun terraces respectively.
7 Lakes View
Enjoy fabulous views: to the south the magnificent Lake Hallstatt, to the west the majestic Lake Wolfgang , and further beyond, perched higher up, Lake Fuschlsee. Lake Nussensee with its eme-rald color, the mystical Lake Schwarzensee and to north-east Lake Traun are also to see. at per- fect weather conditions you can see the Bavarian Lake Tachingersee in the far distance.
the network of the circular walk extends from lovely Feuer- and Rosenkögerl west-wards to the imperial Katrin summit and further to the beautiful Elferkogel, followed by the roman-tic hainzen and the mighty Rosskopf - always accompanied by the impressive mountain scenery of the Salzkammergut that will inspire you.
Mount Katrin in Bad Ischl
Tips: Hiking in autumn
Autumn is here! Hooray! The most beautiful hiking season of the year! However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when hiking, especially at this time of year.
- Plan tours properly.
- Start early. Especially for high alpine hikes.
- Attention: It gets dark early!
- If you are staying overnight in a hut, register in good time by telephone.
- Do not miss the last cable car ride down the mountain when on mountain tours.
- Information on the current operating times of the cable cars in connection with a hike can be found below under "Information at a Glance".
- Check snow conditions. Because at this time of the year the first snow can already fall in the high mountains.
- We have summarised further important safety tips below.
- We wish you an unforgettable hiking autumn in the Salzkammergut.
Your editorial team
Safety Tips for Hikers
Admittedly, the landscape of the UNESCO World Heritage region of Hallstatt Dachstein Salzkammergut is the absolute pinnacle for hiking fans, mountain enthusiasts and nature lovers—unforgettable tours to incredibly beautiful mountain lodges and meadows, panorama views as far as the eye can see and cherished moments that will last a lifetime! However, you should remember that while hiking you might find yourself in high-alpine terrain. We’ve put together some resources to assist you: how to best prepare for your tour, recommended items for your backpack and steps to take in an emergency situation. Remember to always play it safe and enjoy your hiking adventure in the Salzkammergut!